Monday 6 June 2011

The 3 Second Rule - Booth Design

Guest post by Daina Scarola: vendor

This past weekend at the Halifax Seaport Market we had the privilege of being visited by Project for Public Spaces from N.Y.C. They came around and spoke with vendors to get feedback on their market experiences, what they like, and where to improve.

As part of their visit they gave a presentation on markets as public space and what role they play in the community. It was quite amazing to see photos and hear stories of markets from around the world and what makes them succeed or fail. The folks behind this Project specialize in helping markets succeed. I'm stoked to be part of our local Halifax Seaport Market and am excited to see what the future brings for us.




One of the issues they touched on is the '3 second rule'. Customers should be able to walk by your booth and know who you are and what you are selling. If you can't provide this visual information in the 3 seconds it takes for them to walk by, they will keep on moving, on to the next vendor.



Before I found out about this idea, I knew I wanted to build an eye-catching Art By Daina booth that properly represented me as an artist and the genre of paintings I create.



Here is my booth that I've been slowly building and adding to, which I began last November...a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment