Market purchases: sausage,cabbage, leeks, carrots, parsley, rosemary
Italian Tomato, White Bean & Cabbage Soup with Sausage.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 12 ounces fully cooked sausages (about 4), halved lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage (about 1/2 small head)
- 3 leeks (white and pale green parts only), halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise (about 3 cups) OR use onions instead.
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped fine
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste concentrate
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley or regular (if dried, use less)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 8 cups low-salt chicken or veggie broth
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed,
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
Add sausage and sauté until brown around edges, about 5 minutes.
Add cabbage; sauté 2 minutes. Transfer sausage and cabbage to bowl.
Add remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to same pot and heat over medium heat.
Add leeks, celery, carrots and sauté until soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
Add tomato paste, parsley, and rosemary and stir 1 minute.
Add broth, sausage/ mixture, and beans and bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 40 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
*For a Vegetarian version, use a can of chickpeas or some firm tofu to replace the sausage*